Wednesday, January 18, 2012

D minor



Coat: Old Navy (and $25!)
Sweater: Gap
Skirt: JCPenney
Tights: We Love Colors
Heels: Urban Outfitters



On my way home from work today, I stopped at a pedestrian crossing and watched two women walk across the street, almost exactly on pace with each other. But something was ever so slightly off, and suddenly with each step they were more and more out of pace with each other. Obviously one just had a slightly shorter stride, but it reminded me of how much I seem to enjoy dissonance.



When I was young and we went grocery shopping, my dad and I would carry the groceries up a floor of steps and into the kitchen. He would be in front of me, and I would make sure that when I followed him up the steps I would walk almost in pace with his steps, but just slightly off so there was an eighth note-eighth note-eighth rest-eighth note beat. Weird, I know, but I loved it, and when I took a class on Mozart in college, I noted that some of my favourite pieces were written in dissonant keys (K. 626, anyone?) and that's strange indeed.



So I guess it comes as no surprise that I really like the dissonance of this outfit. Cream sweater versus white details on the skirt, slouchy knit reined in by form fitting...polyester, plaid against floral, black battling gray, and let's top it all off with some crazy nearly neon shoes. I also took a big step out of my comfort zone and wore some dark lipstick, which looks pretty dissonant on my face. But for some weird reason, I think it all works. I could be totally wrong, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment