Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Discussability









Shirt: J.Crew Outlet | Camisole: JCPenney | Belt: off a skirt from Kohl's | Skirt: Old Navy | Heels: Urban Outfitters

Every other month, I run the book discussion group at work. It is legitimately one of my absolute favourite things about my job. The members of the group are very smart and very good at discussing--no sitting around staring at each other for them, they dive right in. So when there are crickets, I know there's a problem. The very first discussion I lead was on a book I hadn't picked called The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. And I totally recommend it! It's a great read. HOWEVER. It is what I like to call undiscussable. It's all plot and very little character development, and it's one of those books that everyone just enjoys because it's a fun read, not because of the philosophical nature of the topic or the complexity of the characters. So when my coworker, who sat in for moral support, asked forty minutes in what everyone else was reading, I knew I was dead in the water.

Last night, we discussed The Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach, and when I had to reel everyone in after going 20 minutes over our discussion time, I knew I had selected a winner. And we still hadn't talked about everything I wanted to cover! Now that is true success. And one of the reasons why I get paid so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment